Every day we breathe in 20,000 liters of air. We spend approximately 90% of our time indoors, constantly exposed to contaminants and toxins. It makes sense that having a healthy home environment is of paramount importance.
It’s common sense that a home should not be detrimental to our health in any way, but unfortunately, for an unnecessarily large portion of American homes, it is. An investment towards a healthy home environment is invaluable and goes a long way towards repairing the quality of the home.
Many people often overlook the quality of the air within homes. Indoor air quality is actually a source of numerous pollutants. For those unfamiliar with home renovation, it is a great place to start.
Excess moisture can cause respiratory illness as well as create a home environment conducive to the growth of dust mites, mold, bacteria, insects, and wood rot.
These materials are what constitute the house itself. It should be a place that facilitates comfort and grants you peace of mind. Make sure that these materials are not a contributing factor to illness.
Asbestos is a group of naturally occurring fiber-like materials that are used in construction material. It becomes a problem when it is released into the air and exposure to high concentrations of asbestos will have long-term health effects such as cancer and lung diseases.
Lead is a highly toxic metal that was widely used in construction until the 1970s. It is most dangerous to children and can cause damage to the brain and nervous system.
Radon is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is emitted from the radioactive decay of uranium. The EPA estimates radon to be the top cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.
VOCs are a group of carbon-based chemicals that are emitted as gases. An EPA research study found levels of a dozen VOCs to be 2 to 5 times higher inside homes than outside.
CO is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that’s produced whenever fossil fuels are burned. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the US.
Foods that are stored, washed or cooked improperly can be home to a plethora of unsavory germs and bacteria such as salmonella and E. coli. This can lead to food poisoning, which causes 128,000 hospitalizations and approximately 3,000 deaths in the U.S. each year.
Nothing is more important than the safety of your child. And that means making sure that the home environment is child-friendly and safe. Check out our tips for child safety at home.